Saturday 4 June 2011

Lily of the Valley

Happiness
I will try not to deviate too often towards my 'favorite things' in striving for success but I am a sucker for anything in the garden and am alive with excitement with all the gorgeous colours that are illuminating Collingwood. 
My current fascination is the rampant invasion of Lily of the Valley on The Georgian Triangle, a flower so beautiful and delicate that even the lovely Princess Catherine chose the blooms for her wedding bouquet. 

I grew up understanding the beauty of Lily of Valley seeing my mum wishing it would grow in our garden and occasionally catching a wave of it's gorgeous scent whilst walking through the woods. 
Lily of the Valley symbolises the return to happiness, purity of heart and sweetness. It protects you and the garden from evil spirits and fills one life with humility, happiness and Love's good fortune. No wonder Kate decided to walk down the isle holding a bundle of the stuff!
 
I couldn't believe it when I popped over to my gorgeous friend, Rebecca's house earlier in the week and found that her entire back yard was covered in Lily of the Valley. It was amazing. It didn't know where to rest my bike for fear of crushing one of the gorgeous blooms. I was very amused to find out that in fact the flowers were growing 'wild' and were actually a dominant species in the area *gasp*. Lovely Rebecca wouldn't let me leave without a large bouquet of Lily of the Valley; we picked it together, she has a relative field of the stuff! So Canada wins the prize for best crop of 'L of the V'; I am very impressed and excited to plant some in our garden and watch it blossom!

 Here are a couple of my pots now thriving in our garden, strongly attributed to these intermittent hot days and stormy showers we are having as well as a good dose of miracle grow....

No comments:

Post a Comment