Friday 24 June 2011

Running

Health

We are rejoicing in a stretch of glorious weather. As many may know, I am an avid runner, have been for years. I run every day and despite the overwhelming benefits to my mental and physical health from the life long obsession, running does come with a unique set of 'issues' which I tend to stumble upon periodically. 
Recently, I have been dancing with the 'UV' devil and exposing myself to inordinate amounts of sunlight causing significant pigment changes to the skin ( and not in a good way). Darren suggested that to 'burn over a burn' is most definitely not a good idea and as I was about to adorn my running shoes and head out to the great outdoors, he passed me a smallish black piece of taut material. On closer inspection, I realized he was giving me a 'visor'. 
Not the coolest item in the wardrobe, but this visor was a life changer; I couldn't believe I had never run without the aid of an eye shield before ( I previously had an aversion to caps thinking it would get a hot-head). In fact, quite the opposite happened and my head and face remained cool whilst I was able to run without permanently squinting and probably acquiring irreparable damage to my facial tissue. What a find! I like to think I looked 'retro' in my visor.. in reality, I think I looked like a small, pink girl who was running late for the roller blade discotheque.. but at least I didn't get any more sun burn.
My other new found friend is an invaluable help in dealing with the [multiple] injuries acquired after daily, long distance road running. My current problem is focused around my Achilles but if it's not one thing, it's somethings else; it's an occupational hazard. As well as using Darren's amazing hot and cold wraps, I have started to use Arnica as a healing tonic for aching limbs and joints. 
Arnica can be used externally to aid healing in:
  • Bruises
  • Sprains
  • Muscles Ache
  • Wound healing
  • Rheumatic Pain
  • Insect Bites
  • Inflammation after fractures
  • Conditions caused by over exertion ( i.e. running)

I must say, daily application of the cream appears to help my swollen achilles and has most certainly reduced the pain and 'electric shocks' I was experiencing when walking. I still regularly stretch my calves and have abandoned my favorite flip flops in an attempt to regain full ankle-power. All helps in my quest to become Blue Mountain Half Marathon champion for a second time in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment